MIAC Docent Readings
Andy Albertson and your instructors have selected the following readings.
The LOA Librarian Allison Colborne is collaborating with and supporting Andy Albertson and is here to support you throughout your class and with any informational or resource queries you may have.
Most of the readings are available as full-text >PDF documents documents below.
Allison Colborne BFA, MA (Art History), MLIS, DAIS
Librarian - Laboratory of Anthropology Library
Docent - Training - Week 1 - October 19
- Culture and Representation / Ivan Karp (1991). PDF document
- From Being About Something to Being for Somebody / Gail Anderson (2012). PDF document
- Introduction : Museums and Multiculturalism / Ivan Karp, Steven Lavine (1991). PDF document
- National Museum of the American Indian : Sharing the Gift / Amanda Cobb (2005). PDF document
Docent - Training - Week 2 - October 26
Docent - Training - Week 3 - November 2
- Archaeology of the Rio Grande : the Puye / Edgar Lee Hewett (1909). Internet Site / Full-text document access
- Santa Clara Pueblo, New Mexico : Puye Cliff Ceremonial (1969). PDF document
- Vintage Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper clippings on Puye (1972). PDF document
Docent - Training - Week 4 - November 9
- Beyond the Margin : American Indians, First Nations and Archaeology of North America / Joe E. Watkins (2003). PDF document
- Culture and Context / Brian Fagan (2003). PDF document
- Introducing Archaeology and Prehistory / Brian Fagan (2003). PDF document
- Towards an Aboriginal Art History / Gerald McMaster (1999). PDF document
- Art History and the Native-Made Object / Ruth B. Phillips (1999). PDF document
- The State of the Field: Contemporary Native American Art / Ceilon Hall Aspensen (2014). PDF document
Docent - Training - Week 4.5
- Changing Life at Tesuque Pueblo IN: When Rain Gods Reigned /Duane Anderson. PDF document
- When rain gods reigned : from curios to art at Tesuque Pueblo / Duane Anderson (2002). LOA Library Koha catalog record only Docent Library (Call number: O5). LOA Library (Call number: 572.78R A546)
Docent - Training - Week 5 - November 16
Docent - Training - Week 6 - November 23
- Fourteen Families in Pueblo Pottery - The Melchor / Tenorio Families Geneaologies (1994). PDF document
- Fourteen Families in Pueblo Pottery / Rick Dillingham (1994). LOA Library Koha record onlyDocent Library (Call number: O6).
- Introduction IN A River Apart : the Pottery of Cochiti & Santo Domingo Pueblos / Valerie Verzuh (MIAC ICC Collections) PDF document
- Making Pottery, Seeking Life IN A River Apart : the Pottery of Cochiti & Santo Domingo Pueblos / Antonio Chavarria (Santa Clara) (MIAC Curator of Ethnology) PDF document
- Pueblos of the Rio Grande : a visitor's guide / Daniel Gibson (2001). LOA Library Koha record only/Docent Library (Call number: E).
Docent - Training - Week 7 - November 30
- Ancient Peoples of the American Southwest (Preface, Chapter 1) / Stephen Plog (2008/2014). Class Textbook
- Handbook of North American Indians (Vol. 9 - Southwest, Introduction, p ix, xiii, xiv, 1-4). Smithsonian Institution (1979). PDF document
- Pueblo Secrecy / Joseph Sunia in New Mexico Magazine (January 1992, pages 60-63):
Docent - Training - Week 8 - December 7
- Ancient Peoples of the American Southwest (Chapt. 2, 3, 4 and 5, 5 up to p. 95 only) / Stephen Plog (2008). Class Textbook
- Those Who Came Before / Robert H. Lister, Florence C. Lister (1983). PDF document
- The Hohokam Millennium /(Chap. 1)/ Suzanne Fish and Paul Fish. PDF document
- In Search of Chaco / Chapt. 5 and 6). Wolkie Toll and Leigh Kuwanwisiwma. PDF document.
- In Search of Chaco / (Chapt. 17). Barbara Mills. PDF document.
- The Mesa Verde World / David Noble. (Chapt. 4, 6, and 16). William D. Lipe, Tessie Naranjo (Santa Clara), and Kristin A. Kuckelman. PDF document. (disregard page 21).
- The Archaeology of the Pueblo Revolt and the Formation of the Modern Pueblo World / Matthew Liebmann and Robert W. Preucel. PDF document>
Docent - Training - Week 9 - December 14
Docent - Training - Week 13 - February 1 (Speaker: Joseph Traugott)
Docent - Training - Week 14 - February 8
- America's Museums (Daedelus)
- Interpreters Training (Cunningham)
- Participatory Museum (Nina Simon)
- Museum Educators Manual (Johnson)
Docent - Training - Week 15 - February 15 (Speaker: Bruce Bernstein)
- Native American Artists (Edgar Lee Hewett, 1922)
- Crecencio Martinez (Edgar Lee Hewett, 1945)
- Indian Painting Can Progress (Dorothy Dunn, 1950, scroll to pages 99-110)
- A Bridge Across Cultures : Pueblo Painters in Santa Fe, 1910-1932 (J.J. Brody - Wheelwright Museum, 1992)
- Portfolio : Eleven American Indian Artsts [Part I: Contemporary Painters]
- Portfolio : Eleven American Indian Artsts [Part II: Contemporary Painters]
Docent - Training - Week 16 - February 22 (Speaker: Larry Dalrymple)
- Indian Basketmakers of the Southwest (Dalrymple) < [Scan] | [Book] > 3 Copies - MIAC Docent Library - Call number: R2.
- Jicarilla Apache Baskets and Basketmakers
- Ute - San Juan Paiute - Navajo
Docent - Training - Week 17 - February 29 (Speaker: Cathy Notarnicola)
This week's readings were selected by the LOA Librarian based on an email from your presenter to Andy Albertson late this week. There are more readings here than you may want to read, but none of these are long. I sequenced them here in a way that makes sense. Contact me: Allison 505-476-1264 if you have questions.
- The Process of Navajo Weaving (Marsha Gallagher) (1980)
- Early Navajo Weaving (Joe Ben Wheat) (1980)
- From Blanket to Rug : the Evolution of Navajo Weaving After 1880 (Kate Peck Kent) (1980)
- Contemporary Navajo Weaving : Thoughts that Count (Ann Hedlund) (1994)
- A Turning Point : Viewing Modern Navajo Weaving As Art (Ann Hedlund) (2011)
- Blanket Weaving in the Southwest [Book] / Joe Ben Wheat. Docent Library - Call number: Q | LOA Library (book on Reserve shelf)
Docent - Training - Week 21 - March 28 (Speaker: Ross Altshuler)
- "History of Navajo Silver" and "The Development of Design" IN The Navajo and Pueblo Silversmiths (John Adair-1944, pages 3-54)
- The Navajo and Pueblo Silversmiths (John Adair), 1944 - Book available full-text here. You only have to read pages 3-54).
- "Modern Indian Silver" IN Indian silver : Navajo and Pueblo Jewelers (Margery Bedinger-1973, pages 199-213).
Docent - Training - Week 22 - April 4 (Speaker: Roxanne and Porter Swentzell)
- Important Variables for Prehistoric Irrigation Studies (Neal W. Ackerly) (in NM Archaeological Council 1995, pages 279-288)
- Southwestern Foodways: Beyond Nutritiion (George Gumerman IV) (in NM Archaeological Council 2001, pages 79-93)
- Keeping the sacred and planting calendar: archaeoastronomy in the Pueblo Southwest (Michael Zeilik) (1989) (pages 143-179)
- The Laguna Calendar (Bertha P. Dutton and Miriam A. Marmon) (1936) (in Symposium on prehistoric agriculture) (pages 3-21)
- Patterns of prehistoric food production in west-central New Mexico (Spring 1989) (Journal of Anthropological Research) (pages 139-157)